Friday, October 22, 2004

Interview with Kai Krause

I just ran across this interview Kai Krause from 1994. Kai's one of those really interesting people who makes some really cool leaps in logic. I especially liked this quote. Pretty prescient for a decade ago, and I still don't think most people have caught on to the full potential of this.

The information highway to me is a very important issue. I don't want to bore you, but I want to make just one point. People mistake it to be just a bunch of zippy phone lines, a high speed network of some kind. But that's not what it is. It is nothi ng less than the future of the entire species! And it's not dawning on people yet. I'm going to be a little bit of the evangelist on this front, get much more involved. I've found that there are so many people talking about it who lust do not know what th ey are talking about. They've never been online, they don't know what it's all about.

What I mean by the line 'future of the species' is -- my definition of the information highway has nothing to do with how it's implemented, whether it's fiber-optic or this, or satellites or that. In one line: it's anybody on the planet having access to the sum total of all human knowledge. Our children, 15 years from now, will be able to use whatever implementation of that, and in any frame of reference. Any image, film, book -- anything that ever comes up, that mankind has produced, they should hav e that at their fingertips. To be able to see any picture, read any book, and to cross-correlate them -- It will have incredible implications.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home