Tuesday, January 25, 2005

EmacsWikiMode: redux

I've found a new fringe benefit to EmacsWikiMode, the emacs wiki I talked about a little in an earlier post. Since the wiki is essentially individual text files stored in single directory, it becomes extremely easy to keep two separate wikis located on separate machines in sync. You can simply email individual text files back and forth, or zip the whole directory and dump it into the appropriate location on the second machine. No tweaking of config settings, or updating hyperlinks for the admin. Since each WikiWord has a separate filename you don't have to worry about new words getting wiped out, only edits to words that exist on both machines.

Best of all, since emacs has a built in email utility, you can just fire off an email of a file once your done writing it without ever leaving emacs. Extremely low-tech, but I think that's part of the appeal to me.

Update: you know, after thinking about it for all of 10 seconds I realized that it wouldn't be that hard to write a script that would simply append data for WikiWords that already existed so that you wouldn't even have to worry about the data loss from that. I should put that on my ToDoList. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home